Author Archives: Kelley House

New Newes Menu

Good Newes! If you haven’t already heard, The Newes reopened in August and is better than ever with a updated menu!

tabletop

The Katama ($10) is a delicious blend of cheeses and a sunny egg served on boat-shaped bread. The Katama was the winning starter and we anticipate it to quickly become a customer favorite!

katama

The PCS ($14) pub sandwich is made with Smoked Turkey, apple and onion chutney, lettuce, Swiss cheese avocado spread all on whole wheat. Like all the pub sandwiches on the menu, the PCS comes with your choice of French fries or coleslaw and comes with a pickle. We chose fries (obviously!)

pcs_sandwich

The Tavern Wrap ($14) is made with roast beef, lettuce, tomato, onions and horseradish coleslaw. The wrap is the perfect item to take to-go, either as a beach picnic or the perfect boat snack (for all you MV Derby fishermen!)

wrap2

The Lamb and Corn Quesadilla ($15) is a delicious twist on a traditional cheese quesadilla is going to be the go-to menu item, especially as the weather cools down! The Newes version is made with shredded cheddar, caramelized onion, tomato and comes with cucumber-mint yogurt dipping sauce.

lambcorn

The Chef’s Risotto ($15) changes daily based on the what is in season. The risotto shown here is made with stewed tomatoes and feta cheese (DELISH!) The risotto is going to be a comforting staple once fall temperatures drop! And one of the best parts- the risotto is vegetarian and is also gluten free, making it a tasty menu option for those with dietary restrictions.

risotto

And finally- the Bag O’Rings (not new to the menu, but how could we not!) And better yet, now through October 17th The Newes is serving up a MV Derby Special in honor of a the Martha’s Vineyard Stripped Bass & Bluefish Derby! Bring in your 2016 Derby pin and get a FREE order of Bag O’Rings or fries with your purchase of any regular-priced menu item!

derby_special

We are so glad The Newes From America is back up and running! If you haven’t already checked out the new menu, then be sure to join us here really soon! Open daily at 11:30am!

EDGAR arrives in Edgartown

Here at the Kelly House we cannot believe that it is already nearing the end of August on the island! The good news is that that Edgartown show no signs of slowing down! A few short weeks ago, the town welcomed our newest retail boutique EDGAR, located on Kelley Street in the heart of Edgartown. We recently caught up with Brooke Lera of EDGAR.

EDGAR is not just your new favorite place to score comfy-chic clothing, it also happens to be your new favorite hangout, complete with a giant inflatable gold swan outside.

DSC04063

What sets this store apart from others, says Brooke Lera, is the relationship with the customer. “The focus of EDGAR is not simply on the sale, it is on developing the relationship with the customer. We want people to feel comfortable coming in, and hanging out with us.”

DSC04085

Walking around the store, flooded with natural light clean racks of highly curated clothes, one almost feels like they are shopping in their own closet. The EDGAR looks are on-trend (the store is being constantly turned over, with new merchandise arriving daily), but are also appealing to a variety of tastes and budgets. All the pieces are fresh and wearable, and could be taken easily from the sand of South Beach to drinks Port Hunter or dinner reservations at Alchemy.

DSC04083

DSC04073

“We want to start a conversation with the customer. Shopping should be fun! There is never any pressure to buy here, we want people to grab a drink and feel like they can stop by and chat,” says.

CosabellaBag

Speaking of drinks, EDGAR is conveniently located right next to the Wave Bar, and a side door means customers can mingle, drink in hand, with friends and peruse the racks. What could be better?

MudSlide

On the response from the community, Brooke reports, has all been good. “We have had a great response from fellow retailers and stores in the area. It’s a very welcoming, very supportive community.”

EDGAR feels fun and fresh and is a welcome addition to the Edgartown shopping scene! Visit the store, open daily from 10am to 8pm at 6 Kelley Street here in town!

BrookeL

Stop by EDGAR today and be sure to say hello to Brooke when you do!

History and Schedules of the Vineyard Lighthouses

Vineyard Lighthouses

 

_DSC1906
When you picture Martha’s Vineyard, you probably think either A) Black dogs or B) The bright white and black lighthouse that has found its home in Edgartown or C) The gingerbread houses in Oak Bluffs. Today, I will talk expand on B: the lighthouses found on island. Each of these five structures has a rich history tied to the island. These lighthouses served an important role in American history, as the Vineyard and Nantucket Sounds at one point saw more ships pass through than any other place in the world (except for the English Channel).

 

Lighthouses were especially necessary on the island of Martha’s Vineyard, because it sits in between rough waters. The south side of the island is affected by tides from Boston, and the north side is affected by a tide coming in from Rhode Island. To add to the list of fun things making the waters dangerous, reefs, shoals and rocks can be found basically everywhere. And, of course, sharks. Kidding. But the lighthouses greatly reduce this danger.

 

The West Chop Lighthouse (Location: Vineyard Haven)

 
Built in 1817, the West Chop Lighthouse was the only manned light on the island. While it was originally a wooden structure, West Chop Lighthouse was replaced with the current brick structure it is today. At two separate intervals, the lighthouse has been moved back from the 60-foot bluff it sits atop, in order to prevent this historical landmark from falling into the sea. The caretaker’s cottage, found right next to the lighthouse, is now occupied by the Coast Guard. This acts kind of like a nod to the history of Vineyard Haven, or “Holmes Hole” as it once was called. This connection is able to be drawn because for 300 years, Vineyard Haven was one of the most important ports on the Atlantic coast, and globally recognized as a port of protection.

 

960

 

The East Chop Lighthouse (Location: Oak Bluffs)

 
The East Chop lighthouse stands on an important place of history. The land there once housed one of the first ever telegraph signals in 1828, when Nantucket would send messages to Martha’s Vineyard, and then relayed to Woods Hole and South Plymouth, amongst other places.
A man by the name of Captain Silas Daggett was the one to actually found the lighthouse. He created it originally as a private establishment, on the funding of local merchants found in the area, and by some of the ships that would pass through. In 1875, the U.S. government bought the lighthouse and surrounding lands for $6,000. It originally had the moniker “Chocolate Lighthouse” for its brown-red color. Unfortunately for those who enjoyed the nick-name, it was painted white in 1988, leaving many confused as to why their older relatives referred to it as the Chocolate Lighthouse.

 

2016 Schedule

 

Open for sunsets
Open Sunday evenings June 19 – Sept 18
June 19 – July 31, 7pm-9pm
August 7 – Sept 18, 6pm-8pm
Admission is $5.00 for adults, children under 12 are free

 
The Edgartown Lighthouse (Location: Edgartown)

 
An Act of Congress provided money to build a lighthouse a quarter of a mile from shore in Edgartown. A little bit later, $5,000 dollars was given to complete the project. The first year it stood, the lighthouse was only accessible via boat. But more money was appropriated later in order to build a footbridge to remedy this issue.
In 1938, the original lighthouse was replaced by a new building that was rafted over from Ipswich. It was placed in the same place as the original structure. Sand has since filled the area between the shore and the island, eventually making the lighthouse attached to the mainland.

 

2016 Schedule
Open weekends May 28 – June 26 10am-5pm
Open daily June 27 – Sept 5, 10am to 5pm
Open weekends Sept 10 – Oct 9 10am to 5pm
Admission is $5.00 for adults, children under 12 are free

 

Edgartown Harbor Light, Shute image E19

 

The Gay Head Lighthouse (Location: Aquinnah)

 
President John Quincy Adams decided to authorize the building of a wooden tower on the cliffs of Aquinnah. This structure was replaced, however, with a more durable brick light in 1844. This particular lighthouse has always been just too close to the eroding cliffs there, and the possibility of it tipping into the ocean is just too possible.
In 1856, the famous-at-the-time Fresnel lens, which has 1,009 prisms was installed after a showing at the World’s Fair in Paris. It is currently preserved by the Martha’s Vineyard Historical Society in Edgartown. It is lighted every night throughout the entire year.

 

2016 Schedule
Open weekends May 28 – June 19 11am-4pm
Open daily July 1 – Oct. 10, 11am-4pm
Lighthouse will also be open for sunset on Thursday evenings in July and August
Admission is $5.00 for adults, children under 12 are free

 
The Cape Poge Lighthouse (Location: Chappaquiddick)

 
The 4-acre location where the Cape Poge Lighthouse was built was purchased for $36 (a pretty good sum at the time) from a small group of men. Another Act of Congress appropriated $2,000 for the building of the light on the bluff. Originally built from wood, this particular light has had a series of unfortunate events.
In 1838, the building was destroyed by the sea, so it was rebuilt further inland. This new one lasted 50 years until the sea destroyed it again. It was again rebuilt, this time, opting out of the old reflector lamps for the new-age red and white revolving prisms. It fell victim to the sea yet again in 1892. Rebuilt again, the structure was now 33 feet tall, and lasted only another 35 years before falling apart. Again.
The present lighthouse was built in 1922 and revamped completely, understandably. It is now 55 feet tall, and its visible light distance is 12 miles. 1985, it made lighthouse history (a very exciting honor) by being the first entire lighthouse to be moved by helicopter. It was moved again in 1997 by helicopter again for repairs. Now, it stands 300 feet from the sea that has taken it down upwards of four times.

 

4b6f011a25143c1ce4b7554fa202ffcb

 

All the lighthouses, except for the Cape Poge one, are all very easy to get to. The Cape Poge lighthouse, however, can be visited through the Trustees of Reservations services, as they provide tours. The MV Museum has more information about the East Chop Lighthouse, the Edgartown Lighthouse and the Gay Head Lighthouse. Those three lighthouses are also available for special occasions including wedding ceremonies.

 

IMG_3952

 

Kelley House Gallery Meet the Photographer Series

There is plenty of exciting things going on in Edgartown this summer, but here at the Kelley House it is the summer of the Kelley House Gallery. The gallery features the work of 17 photographers as both framed prints and as a rotating display of images on 6 flat screen monitors. Both Kelley House guests and the public are able to view 419 photographs in this unique and inspired combination of mediums.

Photo Jul 22, 11 43 08

While the Kelley House Gallery opened late summer 2015, this summer has hosted the “Meet the Photographer” receptions every Thursday since the start of summer.

DSC04099

The receptions, held every Thursday from 5:30pm to 7:30pm and are open to the public. Each reception features a different photographer whose work has been hanging in the Kelley House the past year. Visitor and guests alike are able to meet the artist and discuss their work.

DSC04100

Since we here at the Kelley House are lucky enough to be located on a spot as stunning as Martha’s Vineyard, it is fitting that the work featured in the Kelley House Gallery celebrates the beauty of the island. While the subject matter is not exclusive to photos of the island, all the photographers featured in the gallery are ones for whom the island is a special place.  This comes out clearly in the images on display, many of which capture Vineyard moments with a unique perspective and perceptive eye.

Photo Jul 28, 18 10 23

The Kelley House Gallery located in the lobby of the Kelley House is open 24/7, but will be hosting Meet the Photographer receptions now through early September. Be sure to join us on Thursdays from 5:30 pm to 7:30 pm! For more information, please visit our website and follow us on Facebook for up-to-date news!